Physiocare Seven Hills can perform a full vestibular screening and falls risk assessment. Any vestibular problems will be treated as required by our expert physiotherapist. An individual exercise program will be provided, monitored, and progressed to reduce your falls risk.
Below is a list of common risk factors for falling.
- Vestibular disorders such as BPPV or Meniere’s disease.
- Muscle weakness- as we age, we start to lose muscle mass and strength, particularly in the hips and legs. This can make daily tasks more difficult, leading to falls.
- Physical inactivity- reduced activity will lead to weakness and loss of balance. Move it or lose it!
- Poor vision- Vision problems may double the likelihood of a fall. Get your vision checked regularly.
- Cognitive impairment-Being confused, which is common with dementia or delirium, can increase the risk of falls.
- Medication- Specific medications or the combined effects of multiple medications are known to increase the risk of falls. Make sure to discuss with your doctor if you are concerned.
- Past history of falls- This is the greatest indicator for future falls, which is why it is important to know the cause of falls when it happens and whether anything can be changed to prevent future falls.
- Malnutrition- inadequate nutrition will have an effect on the way our bodies work. This change in body function may lead to falls. Therefore, it is important to have a healthy diet as we age.
BOOK NOW FOR YOUR FALLS ASSESSMENT